painting chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently lined and insulated our garage (which is not attached to the house) with chipboard, the chipboard (I think) is low density as you can see the slivers of wood. The garage is for my son to use for his weights bench so finish does not have to be fantastic. I have bought some ordinary silk emulsion to give the chipboard a coat of paint, can anyone tell me if this is ok? I was goin to preapre the chipboard with a upv glue solution then paint it. The chipboard was supposed to be ok to use externally.
Hope someone can help.
Thank you :D

Sponsored Links
don't use glue under paint!!!

on absorbent surfaces, thin the emulsion with water (there will be instructions on the can) and apply a couple of thinned coats, this soaks in and helps the later coat to adhere. It is easy to apply and dries quite fast.

You need to use this mist coat if the surface is so dry and hungry that it sucks the moisture out of your paint as soon as you brush it on. You do this on unpainted plaster and brick, and if you have chipboard without the smooth surface, I think it will probably be absorbent.

thank you john, I had read that if you paint straight on to chipboard it swells and disintigrates, will try what you suggested though.

a good point. It doesn't like water. but if yours is a grade suitable for outdoor use it ought to be resistant.

I wonder if it is chipboard or OSB?

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

I have just looked, the label says OSB2.....? Haven't a clue what this means....can I still paint it?

OSB is not chipboard, you can paint it.

It is often used for outdoor hoardings round building sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back