Painting coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there im going to be putting up soon some coving not the expensive plaster type nor the ultra cheap toot, its the one in between the paper covered polystirein <----- spelling mistake, im going to give it a crown quick dry satin white coat, what do you folks recommend for a base coat ive got some left over crown performance undercoat will this suffice? thank you!

Sponsored Links
for polystyrene I use watered down pva, and for paper/plaster water down emulsion as a base.

lee,

Firstly stay well clear of the suggested pva, both paint systems of which you have mentioned although differing in formulation are designed to be applied to pre-primed wood or metal surface substrates. Whilst there is the distinct possibility that you may get away with it, they remain to be incorrect for your choosen substrate. You would be far better advised to go for a Satin/Soft sheen emulsion paint.

Dec

ok thanks dec, will dulux vinyl soft sheen be ok? if so will 2 coats be ok without any undercoat? ta

Sponsored Links
Dulux Vinyl Soft sheen will be fine, it may help you if you were to slightly ease the first coat with around 5% water, and the finish will resemble more of a Satin look rather than the low sheen eggshell. In other words it strikes a happy medium.

Dec

ok thanks dec so a very lightly watered down 1st coat, and then normal coat, ok ta!

Sorry, no need for the application of an undercoat.

Dec

I agree!

No need to make work for yourself.

I've done that sort of coving with acrylic eggshell before now and it's looked nice. Easy to wipe down, too (not that coving gets a lot of grubby fingerprints, but it does collect dust!)

ok cheers lads just popped to b&q got me dulux soft sheen brilliant white!

well the coving had its under coat and some of them have bowed a bit bah :eek:( so going to have to get someone to help me put them up now

:cry: :cry: . ok its not a major disaster, ive got someone to help so if it does go wrong then ill just go buy more of the stuff lesson learned!!. although i must ask my 2 external corners are no where near 45 degree angles probably about 30 or so, so hows the best way to get the right cut for these corners or is it a case im going to have to buy something to cover it up?

Once you have fitted your coving, do not worry too much about gaps.
Use a standard filler, fill any gaps, and allow to dry. Sand off to get a good finish, then paint.

ok ta thing is the window bay corners are going to give grief they are no where near 45 degree angles, what do you recommend for those, i did a mock put up the gap was rather large

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back