Painting disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a "painter" in to freshen up a few rooms in a house I'm moving into.

I was pretty specific about proper preparation of the gloss woodwork but he has ignored this and looks as if he has painted the satin finish paint straight on with no prep. He hasn't made a great job of the walls either but that's easily fixed.

So I can take the paint off the facings with a light use of my fingernail. Not good.

So I'm thinking all of the woodwork will need a thorough sanding to give a key. Will that be sufficient to give a water based satin or eggshell to stick or should I undercoat? I'm using water based to avoid the yellowing associated with oil based paints (which was the reason for the freshening up).

Serves me right for using this guy on a friend's recommendation.

Any advice appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links
When applying water based gloss or satin to previously painted woodwork it needs to be thoroughly rubbed down first, or give it a coat of Zinsser Coverstain, this will act as an adhesion primer. Its difficult to sand down water based that is already on gloss and coming off when you scratch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back