Painting disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Last year we made the mistake of applying stabiliser to the old painted render before painting with Dulux Trade Masonry paint. The surface was sound and the stabiliser seems to have just sat on the previously painted surface not soaked in and stopped the new paint adhering. After a few weeks (after first heavy rain) the surface blistered and bubbled and has continued to do so over the winter.

We have now pressure washed the elevation to remove all the loose paint but when I tried a test patch with new Weathertex AP77 water based paint it seems the stabiliser is still causing problems and it's blistered again.

I'm thinking now either oil based primer (Zisner cover stain?) Then two coats Weathertex AP77 or should I just go straight on with Pliolite or do we need to try and sand the stabiliser off before adding any paint.

So frustrated with myself for applying stabiliser when it wasn't needed!

Sponsored Links
Yep that's my feeling as well. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back