Painting Emulsion Over a Dark Colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to decorate my son's room with white matt emulsion. 3 walls are fine and will cover easily (I hope!) However, the 4th is a shiny deep purple colour.

I have tried a small area with brush and Johnstone Coverall Vinyl Matt, but, can still see the original colour slightly and don't think this will be acceptable.

Question 1) Do I need to sand it down first?

Question 2) Should I be looking to use a primer before attempting the final coats? If so, what are suggestions to use?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
No need for a primer.

You may need 4 coats of your paint.

I am planning to decorate my son's room with white matt emulsion. 3 walls are fine and will cover easily (I hope!) However, the 4th is a shiny deep purple colour.

I have tried a small area with brush and Johnstone Coverall Vinyl Matt, but, can still see the original colour slightly and don't think this will be acceptable.

Question 1) Do I need to sand it down first?

Question 2) Should I be looking to use a primer before attempting the final coats? If so, what are suggestions to use?

Many thanks!
If you are going from dark to light, I would paint it with a decent Matt white first as it’s cheaper than colour generally and white as a base won’t influence the new colour at all

If you are going from dark to light, I would paint it with a decent Matt white first as it’s cheaper than colour generally and white as a base won’t influence the new colour at all
Thanks, but, I have painted a small area with 3 coats of a very good Matt white and still not covered well!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but, I have painted a small area with 3 coats of a very good Matt white and still not covered well!

No criticism intended... but... 4 coats of a decent emulsion applied with a decent roller should cover even black.

Over the years, I have known people that have applied light grey over black before painting it white- that really shouldn't be necessary.

No criticism intended... but... 4 coats of a decent emulsion applied with a decent roller should cover even black.

Over the years, I have known people that have applied light grey over black before painting it white- that really shouldn't be necessary.
OK, thanks.

Do you think sanding it to remove shiny finish would help?

OK, thanks.

Do you think sanding it to remove shiny finish would help?

It may help but again, I think it is down to the roller that you are using or your technique- again, no criticism intended.

My roller sleeve of choice is the Purdy Colossus. Keep the sleeve loaded with paint for maximum coverage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back