Painting External Block Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best method and materials to prep and paint an outside block wall?
The wall is only 1mtr high but is about 30 years old with grime to show its age. Blocks and Mortar are otherwise in good condition.

Sponsored Links
What I`m really asking is what is the best way of cleaning the wall to bring it to a suitable condition for painting. Detergent?
I`ve tried scrubbing it using a stiff brush and 60/40 water & bleach but it has`nt made any difference.
If cleaned thouroughly this way would the paint take to the blocks ok?
I intend to use Dulux w/s white masonry paint.

you could hire or buy a pressure-washer

it will take off loose, soft or damaged mortar, so do any patching afterwards.

apply your well-thinned mist coat on the clean wall, if it is still very dry and hungry I would apply a second thinned coat before your finish. Protect the top of the wall exposed to rain with an extra coat of two, having first repaired it very well to smooth surface that will throw rain off.

Your choice of white paint will of course show the dirt, especially near ground level where mud will splash up during rainfall. Some people like to put a black or other dark colour on the bottom foot or so.

If people reverse cars or other vehicles up to a white wall you will see round stains from the exhaust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back