Painting Hardwood frame problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a hardwood internal frame and I am currently undercoating. The frame before I started had varnish on which I would say I got approx 90% off over two weeks.

I have managed to get four coats of undercoat on and have noticed the paint to start and crack (but not flake) on certain areas of the frame. I am guessing this is due to the fact that I am using a water based undercoat which is not absorbing into the wood (Even the well sanded areas).

I am guessing if I continue to undercoat then when it comes to Glossing, the gloss will cover what looks like cracks as the gloss is not water based?

Please help as first time I have seen this and everywhere I have been DIY related (hardware stores and big stores) only advise me to sand or fill. I have sanded the areas again, but like I say its not sinking into the wood. I don't want to fill as there is a lot and its not like you can feel the cracks at touch.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

All the best.

Steven

Sponsored Links
Water based undercoat outside is a big no no! Whatever anybody thinks. With hard wood if you want to paint it, it should be primed with aluiminium oxide. Then build up the coats with undercoat and gloss,,oilbased of course.

Must be these cataracts :eek: Sorry missed that but still should use aluminium primer on hardwood.

Sponsored Links
Just a couple of things:

You say you got 90% of the varnish off, so theres still a bit floating about and probably quite a bit more soaked into the grain - could the cracking be "mud-caking" where the paint dries out more slowly on the non-absorbent areas.

You don't mention a primer which is essential over bare timber.

Personally (I know its a bit late now) I always use a coat of Zinsser BIN if I'm covering previously varnished timber, deals with all the potential adhesion problems and gives a rock hard base to work from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back