PAINTING KNOBS AND HANDLES!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im livening up a lovely wooden set of bedroom drawers that I found. 1 of the last jobs is to replace the handles. I was looking to replace them with some metal antique effect ones. I was on Ebay when I came across some lovely funky hand painted ones and like these much more. I would love to have a go with the wooden ones that I have that came with the drawers. I just want some advice about which paint please. The ebay ones are painted with an undercoat then painted on top of that (coloured polka dots, red hearts etc). My wooden handles have already been painted with a matt gold effect paint but not varnished. Will I still have to use an undercoat. Im hoping to paint them red with a heart pattern. Do I use acrylic paint, emulsion, gloss or what? :?: Thanks, Heather. :?:

Sponsored Links
I would give them a coat of primer first..zinseer will do it...or if you cant find a small tin then male sure you give them a good wash and rub down

Paint doesnt take very well over metalic paint

Good idea. After Ive used a primer though what type of paint should I use as my top coat to decorate them?

I would go for oil based eggshell...gloss can look a bit cheap and plastickie..(is that a word???)

Sponsored Links
O well :rolleyes:

Bom bom bom...another one bites the dust...

Haha, sorry didnt quite get it. Havnt had time to try yet, work doesnt half get in the way!?!
Will def let you know when I give it a whirl though. Thanks for taking the time to help me. :)

Give work a miss rubbing down knobs is much more fun :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back