1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Painting Mahogany Fire Surround

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by 9677tara, 13 Jun 2011.

1. 9677tara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I really want my mahogany fire surround painted cream, as at the moment it does not match the other wood in my sitting room.

I have had one decorator round who said it was too little job for him to do, so I was going to tackle it myself, as I think most other decorators will say the same.

It is varnished and the decorator said I would not be able to sand it, so I'm wondering what sort of primer or undercoat I need, and how many coats roughly will it need?

It is very large, and I cannot find another to fit the hearth otherwise I would just buy a cream one to aviod all the hassle.

Does any know the best way to do this please??

2. TheDec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You will need to apply a bonding primer such as Dulux Super or ultra grip primers, or perhaps Zinsser Bullseye 123, before you apply your paint.

Dec

3. Growler

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Done several of these.
    The reason decs say they're too small a job is that they take too long and folk wont pay to have them done as preparing them takes quite a while.
    -
    Bucket of sugar soap or Soda crystals, wash and rub down with 400 wet/dry and one of those green scourer things. rinse off.
    Wipe over with Ever Build wipes or the like to remove any silicone...i.e Mr Sheen or Pledge as paint wont stick to this. You must get it clean and rubbed down properly.

Get some Crown Solo Satin in your preferred colour or choose your own (oil based).
    It will probably need 3 coats.