Painting matt over silk emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have come across problems painting matt over silk emulsion. I am trying to cover cream walls with a rather less creamy shade so thought two coats should cover it easily. But the finish is terrible -- the bits done with a roller look all patchy, especially when the sun shines on it, and the same with the bits done by brush, like the coving, it all looks very uneven. I have now put four coats on it but no improvement. I have looked on various sites and realise now that it was a bad idea to paint matt over silk, but the problems others had are different from mine - like a crackling effect, which I, fortunately, have not experienced. I am using good quality Dulux emulsion. Has anyone had similar problems? What is the best opiton at this stage? I have not got time to strip down all the walls to the plaster and don't like a silk finish. Is there anything else I can do to solve the problem?

Sponsored Links
When paint is applied over a shiny finish such as silk preparation is the key factor. The walls should be sanded back to remove the shine and sometimes a blocking paint is also applied soft sheen is ideal for this.

What is happening now is your paint is just sliding over the surface and consequently has no bond with the previous coating, therefore any future coats will remain unstable.

Sanding back here is the best way to salvage this work, perhaps 80 grit for the walls and 120 for the coving. the use of a palm sander or pole sander will make life easier or you.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back