Painting Matte over Silk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I’m very new to this, so if this has been asked 1000 times I am so sorry!

I just got my new flat with my partner and we are wanting to paint matte over the already silk walls.
I have started sanding, but I can’t get it totally smooth.
When sanded, there are still some wee bits coming through that are shiny in between the sanded bits (I hope that makes sense).

Is this still okay to paint over, or will I need to sand it completely flat with no shine at all?
Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Sanding walls is a nice first step before painting with matte over silk, but as you point out, it might be challenging to make everything exactly smooth. Compared to flat paint, silk paint has a glossy surface that is more difficult to totally sand away. To try and get rid of more gloss, you can keep sanding with sandpaper that has a finer grit (around 180 grit). It is advisable to seek professional advice if you still have questions.

Sponsored Links
It's worth washing over as having a clean surface will aid adhesion.
A cheap acrylic primer seems to stick really well although a quality durable emulsion will also stick well.
I've used undercoat on some and not bothered on others with the same result.
Think I'd only undercoat if surface looked like it would benefit or I wanted to kill the colour. I also undercoat if I was using low quality contract paint over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back