Painting MDF. Advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hopefully someone can provide some advice for a novice. I’ve put together some shelves out of MDF and want to get a nice smooth finish. I’ve trawled the forum for a day or two and put together what appears to be the consensus of good advice.

Hopefully some of the more experienced members will be able to confirm I haven’t got the wrong end of the stick and answer some of my questions. Any help appreciated.

Primer
Given that MDF tends to react badly to a lot of water based primer as it makes the grain swell and spoils the smooth finish, Dulux Trade Oil based wood primer seems to be a good option. However, since the 2010 VOC regulation change, that advantage has been somewhat eroded and some members have recommended the new(ish) water based Dulux Trade Quick Drying Wood Primer Undercoat as a good alternative as it sinks in much better than much of the water based competition.

Given that I want a nice smooth finish and don’t have much experience, am I best sticking with the oil based or trying the quick drying water based one?

Undercoat/Topcoat
Think I’m going to go with an oil based eggshell. I considered a satinwood, but given that it shouldn’t get too many fingerprints on, the slightly more open grained nature of eggshell shouldn’t be a problem.

Oil based seems to be better than water based as it’s longer drying time (and reduced surface tension) will allow for a smoother finish by giving any brush/roller marks time to flow out.

Although eggshell isn’t technically self undercoating, it seems to serve that purpose and so no other undercoat would be required?

Application
Thin down some oil based primer by about 25% and apply it using a foam glossing rolling sleeve.

Rub down when dry with 100/120 grade aluminium oxide paper or similar

Apply 3 coats of the oil based eggshell, rubbing it down with 240 grade paper in between each coat. Use a damp rag to remove the powder.

Stand back and wait for the wife to say she doesn’t like the colour and can I get a different one (colour not wife that is, although . . . .)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back