Painting MDF with a brush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a platform bed out of MDF. Is there any problem painting the MDF with a brush? I planned to use a primer and then a final coat. Any tips or info?

Sponsored Links
Only problem that I have found is that the MDF primer (necessary evil) seems a bit on the thick side. Other than that no real problems other than I hate painting :(

You don't necessarily need to use MDF primer. On the face of the boards you can use undercoat or emulsion as an undercoat (these will give a better final finish than just using a primer as they will be smoother when sanded) and then paint just about anything over the top. On the edges, you need to sand them as smooth as you can and then you can use watered down emulsion as a 1st coat, sand down again and use a 2nd coat of neat emulsion and sand down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back