painting new bare wood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 14 bare wood, pine panel doors to finish in a satin white finish!
They are quite knotty, do I just prime them or do the knots have to be done with knotting :?:
I have a piece of skirting board a stain has come through on and I would say that was a couple of knots! ( to my surprise, thought oil based would have stopped that?)

Sponsored Links
Any raw woodwork that is to be painted, not stained, if it has knots in it will have to be treated with a knotting solution. This will seal the knot as it is usually shellac based, this will stop knots, felt pen, bitumen etc from bleeding through.
Once that ahs been done the raw wood will need to be primed. This will raise the grain in places and will bind the surfae of the wood enough to be able to sand down. When thats dry apply a coat of oil based undercoat, let dry rub down again, possibly another undercoat if the first hasnt covered properly, then sand again, getting more gentle and a finer grade of paper, then finish off with the satinwood. Oil based paint will not seal knots in wood as the sap will tend to blead through and show a yellow ring through the white paint. These cannot be knotted afterwards.

when you say paint the knots, do i just paint each & every individual knot!
i take it i paint well beyond the knots ie around as well as on :idea:
sounds stupid but i never used knotting before :rolleyes:
what size of container does it come in, i have only ever seen the wee bottles.

Any raw woodwork that is to be painted, not stained, if it has knots in it will have to be treated with a knotting solution. This will seal the knot as it is usually shellac based, this will stop knots, felt pen, bitumen etc from bleeding through.
Once that ahs been done the raw wood will need to be primed. This will raise the grain in places and will bind the surfae of the wood enough to be able to sand down. When thats dry apply a coat of oil based undercoat, let dry rub down again, possibly another undercoat if the first hasnt covered properly, then sand again, getting more gentle and a finer grade of paper, then finish off with the satinwood. Oil based paint will not seal knots in wood as the sap will tend to blead through and show a yellow ring through the white paint. These cannot be knotted afterwards.

Why the undercoat Rob? Satinwood is self undercoating.

Sponsored Links
Yes i agree but i dont think satinwood would stand up on primer alone. When the primer is rubbed down the surface will still be porus in a few places and a coat of undercoat would make the satinwood cover a bit better. satinwood does go on much easier than gloss so is quite nice to use.

Yes i agree but i dont think satinwood would stand up on primer alone. When the primer is rubbed down the surface will still be porus in a few places and a coat of undercoat would make the satinwood cover a bit better. satinwood does go on much easier than gloss so is quite nice to use.

I just made 4 cupboard doors out of 25mm mdf, which as you probably know is very porus. I Primed and then two coats of satinwood and they look fine. I didn't feel that undercoating them was neccessary since the satinwood was self undercoating, just extra work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back