Painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly my apologies, I'm sure this must have been raised before but have searched to no avail.

We had a conservatory built, which was finished some 7 weeks ago. The house wall and all new walls were plasterboarded (dot and dab) and then skimmed.

My questions are:

The plaster seems to be fully dried out, as it was only a skim of finishing plaster, so do you think enougth time has passed to think about sealing it prior to painting?

What do you use to seal it. Another post on a similar subject says not to use PVA. Dulux make a rediculously expensive plaster primer which I am pretty sure you are only paying for the Dulux brand. I have also seen a relatively cheap Blue Hawk (I think!) plaster sealer. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any help you clever lot can offer.

Cheers
Nick

Sponsored Links
New Plaster.. Dont use pva or any sealer.. you need a prmer that will bond into the surface of the plaster.. The Primer I have put on, on all the miles of bare plaster over the last 35 yrs is.... THinned emulsion.. - dilute by at least 20% with water.. then one or two coats of a more round mix..(thicker).
The weather we had recently i'd guess its ready to paint.. usually tell when all plaster is the same colour.

good luck

Though beware of emulsions that do not write that they can be applied on new/bare plaster.

i.e. All Dulux Rich Matt, One-Coat Emulsion etc....

Also, dont use any flexible coatings on new/bare plaster.

Sponsored Links
Use any Vinyl Matt or any Matt that explains it can be used over bare/new plaster.

Used crown emulsion which stated could be diluted by up to 20% water for porous surfaces. Did two coats like this followed by two undiluted coats. Still up there but I guess only time will tell!!!!

Cheers for your help.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back