Painting new reskim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks now i apologise in advance if this question has been asked a millions times i've gone through a few posts and haven't really seen the answer i've been after in sorts.

Ok i've 2 rooms that have been several days ago given a re skim the original plaster in places was real rough looking, now that it almost dried a couple damp patch's here and there, i know i need to apply a 50/50 mist coat to absorb then a slightly less watered down base coat then another slightly less watered down coat. I ve bought some cheapo matt emulsion from if im allowed to say it B$Q, but ive boticed it says vinyl matt emulsion is this stuff upto the task or should i return it and try to get a non vinyl matt? also the main paint brand ive go for is crown which is a matt emulsion a liquuer colour for the feature wall and antique cream for the other walls, will the white undercoat affect the cream at all seeing as they are both light? Just one more should i use a large brush or decent roller to get the mist up? thanks guys and girls if you can help just want it to be done right as this is the first time im doing a major paint from stratch!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
If the walls have only been re-skimmed you should allow around 14 days before you apply your paint, you can if you wish mist with a vinyl matt yet a paint with no vinyl content is the better option. If you choose to use the B&Q stuff I would'nt thin more than 15% for the mist and with regard to the Crown emulsion for your finish coats ease with no more than 5% water.

Dec

Sorry missed a bit out I think around a 3" brush for cutting in and a medium pile roller would be your best bet, what do you mean by the undercoat affecting the cream.

Dec

ok dec ta, so if i put say 2 liters into my brand new scuttle put what 100-200ml of water and give it a good mix?

Sponsored Links
what i meant was will the white undercoat (mist + another couple coats) affect the cream making it whiter? sorry to sound dumb but what do you mean by cutting in? :oops:

You really are new to this are'nt you, I dont have time enough left tonight to offer you further advice, yet if none of the other guys are about tonight I will get back to you in the morning and try and guide you through your task in hand.

Dec

Lee

As said you should allow around 14 days before applying your paint, you can if you wish use the vinyl matt as a mist yet a contract or dulux trade supermatt emulsion thinned around 20 to 30% would be the better option.

Cutting in is where using your brush you apply your paint to the internal angles, above the skirtings, and around door frames etc, when this is achieved you can fill in the remaining areas with your roller. With regard to your choice of colours I dont see any problems in either match or blend.

Dec

ah thanks dec now i know what you mean about cutting in! :oops: . i got the supermatt today 10l worth. the plaster is 99.9% dry now so im going to leave it for a week as am on night shift from tuesday :( . ive noticed some parts of the plaster are a bit rough but the majority is nice and smooth, do you recommend the mist coat then a very light rub down with wet and dry for rough parts

Get your mist coat on first then any imperfections within the skim will be highlighted, you can either then lightly sand or indeed face fill and sand, if when sanding you break through the mist coat spot mist those areas same applys to the filler.

Dec

ok thanks dec. so about 30% for the 1st mist then about 15% dilution for the main undercoat?. what about the crown paints whats usually best for them dilution wise :D

Lee
Thin your supermatt around 30%, that will be your mist coat, then you will be ready to apply your Crown Emulsions I would only ease these with around 5% water.

Dec

ok the plaster is all dry now but where the workmen had to render part of the wall because the old plaster was blown cracks have appeared about 1mm wide and have so far spread to half the width of the wall, so now i cant paint until these are sorted. i live on a main road so have hgv's and buses going past could this be a reason for the cracks or that the workers havent done something right? thankyou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back