Painting newly skimmed walls

Well what can I say Joe? Looks like we've all been doing it wrong all these years thousands of us been doing it absolutely wrong

Sponsored Links
At least you'll do it right in future. I used to do it wrong too.

Think about it. You are trying to seal the wall so it doesn't suck the water out of the paint. Only vinyl paint will stop that. Most emulsions are vinyl anyway, just don't use 'contract' - it won't seal the wall.

Sponsored Links
I sent Dulux a question about what they recommend for the miss/mist coat and here is there response.

Dear Mr Cunliffe
Thank you for your email.

The product I would recommend for fresh plaster still drying out is our Dulux Trade Supermatt. Here is a link providing more information about the product.

http://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/products/dulux-trade/supermatt
Below are the usage instructions
STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE USE. Seal new or bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of Dulux Trade Supermatt (up to 1 part clean water to 3 parts paint). The normal finishing process is 2 coats of thinned Dulux Trade Supermatt (up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint).
If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help.
I hope you were satisfied with our service and found the information we provided useful. Your feedback is important to us, if you would like to tell us about your experience we have included a link below to a quick survey.

Survey

Yours sincerely

Aruna Bagha
Customer Advisor
AkzoNobel Advice Centre
AkzoNobel
ICI Paints,
Wexham Road,
Slough,
Berkshire,
SL2 5DS,
Phone: 0333 222 7171 (DIY advice) 0333 222 7070 (Trade advice)

Well now that won't work because according to Joe you can only use vinyl to seal, I think Joe should give them a ring and tell them that

It's better thinner than thicker for the mist coat! too thick and it will skin up and peel, couple of coats of 50/50 depending on the quality of the paint.

It has always been Matt and white only ever heard such tosh here the first time and on a DIY forum !

The Dulux response is to use Supermatt for ALL coats. Not just the mist coat. If you were to do as they say and you wanted to finish with a vinyl then you would have to do a vinyl mist coat. It seems some people don't understand science.

I think you should call them and tell them to change the instructions on the back of their vinyl paint tins don't you?

Anyway if you read the technical spec you will see that supermatt is based on a co-polymer PVA. That's Poly VINYL Acetate to you.

Stick to plumbing mate. You aint gotta clue.

Stick to holocaust denial and chatting waffle instead of trying to blag professionals with you lack of knowledge

You clearly don't understand science. You are a dinosaur. The info is on the back of the tin. BTW, if you have ANY proof of the holocaust - then feel free to share it. There is no known proof for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back