Painting over a glossy surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago, I painting my landing and stairwell, a delightful white. Whilst standing back, admiring my handwork, I noticed (to my despair) that the areas that were dry had come up with this cracked effect. So after a second and third layer, the problem was getting no better. Apparently, this is due to the previous surface being glossy, and the oil causing the cracked effect!?

Is there anything I can put onto the walls, before I paint to stop this evil cracked effect occuring? I'm desperate here people.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I can put onto the walls, before I paint to stop this evil cracked effect occuring? I'm desperate here people.

A stick of dynamite mabye?

Sorry..... :evil:

Sound like the damage had already been done, quite serious damage too, I was going to suggest you lined the walls to cover the crackled surface but you may end up with it falling off.

You could try filling the whole surface and re painting.

If it was my job......i would take a scraper (better still a filling knife as it is more likely to get between the two layers) to the lot, cut your losses, I know thats a hard call, but the problem will always be there otherwise, you can put 50 coats of paint over it, but in time 52 coats will come off possibly in a big sheet, all the action is going on between the existing coating and the ones you put over it.

It is due to the way the coatings dry...emulsion will shrink as it dries and there will be a surface tension.....but it has nothing to lock onto because of the nature of the glossy surface

Or it could have been down to the walls being excessevly greasy?

Im sorry I cant give you good news on this one.

I had a similar problem, The guys on the Dulux helpline recommended painting over the problem walls with waterbased eggshell (it doesnt have to be dulux), and then your chosen emulsion.

Three months later no sign of crackle - problem solved.

It is caused by waterbased paints curing quicker than oilbased ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back