Painting over black coloured doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During their younger days, one of my sons painted the three doors in their bedroom with black, silk paint. Both have now left home and neither dare admit to it.

My problem is trying to cover the doors and get back to a white gloss finish. To start I rubbed the doors down and tried to undercoat the surface with Dulux Professional Undercoat, thinking this would help. For some reason the undercoat has given very poor coverage and has dried to a gloss finish. The undercoat was very thin, almost a milky consistency, not at all what I was expecting.

Any help or advice would be most welcome, I'm at a bit of a loss as to know how to proceed.

Barry

Sponsored Links
You will find that the application of white undercoat will offer poor hide and coverage over black gloss, the shiny appearance is probably due to the 2010 paint systems. To cover the gloss you would be better to apply a light grey undercoat followed by two white.

I know I said gloss yet it would the same procedure for the silk.

Dec

Thanks for the help.

When you mention "the shiny appearance is probably due to the 2010 paint systems." Would this be the same with any undercoat I would buy?

Barry

You did stir the undercoat didn't you? Dulux undercoat is quite thick and dries to a matt finish.

Sponsored Links
To be honest it is difficult to say, the paint system you have choosen is a retail paint and is supposed to offer a one undercoat two gloss finish. For this to occur I would have thought to be rare when a drastic colour change is needed.

You would be far better off to go with Trade paints as opposed to retail, they offer far greater opacity.

Dec

You did stir the undercoat didn't you? Dulux undercoat is quite thick and dries to a matt finish.

Yes, the paint was stirred but it still only had a milk like consistency and it was a definite high gloss finish. I did send Dulux an email but they haven't as yet bothered to reply.

Dec, is there a brand of trade undercoat I should be looking for?

Thanks again for all the help.

Will I need to go to a trade outlet for the better undercoats or should they be available in the "sheds"?

Barry

Just tried the Dulux Trade undercoat, the one with the pink markings on the tin.

Can't believe the difference, coverage of the black doors is so much better and it seems to dry a lot faster too.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back