Painting over damp

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some mild damp in the reveals around patio doors. It's probably due to bridging of the damp course. Fixing it isn't an option at the moment due to the amount of work it would take and the disruption.

Over about 5 years since painting, the two patches have developed "halos" of bubbles: I assume where the damp stops. The damp is so mild I only know it exists because of the bubbling paint.

Can I use a paint/spray on damp block to avoid the bubbling, or will that just push the problem elsewhere? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If its at the top of the reveals then it will have nothing to do with the damp course. It sounds like condensation, which is caused by warm air in the room getting trapped near the doors where it touches a colder surface . Scrape it back and sand it down. apply a stain block or a bit of oil based undercoat. Let it dry and start again. If there is any mould there, wash it with neat bleach or an anti mould product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back