Painting over dark lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped the bedroom wallpaper off our 100 year old house and am now left with lining paper (with a few scrapes and patches missing) together with a lot of rawl plug holes.

For a quick fix I would just plug the holes and patches, and paint over.

The problem however, is that one of the lining papered walls is a dark purple and I am concerned that it'll take many coats of lighter paint before it stops showing through.
I wondered whether its worth taking the lining paper off and starting again, or whether I should just fill and smooth the holes up with polyfila and keep slapping the magnolia on top until the purple is gone. I am concerned that taking the lining paper off may remove the old plaster also, and am wary of my abilities to re-line the walls...

Any tips greatfully accepted. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to apply another layer of lining paper over the top to me, but if I were you I'd wait for a "time served" decorator to add his tuppence before proceeding.

agree with gycol on this, but if your wary of linning and just after a quick fix then 2 coats of magnolia Matt (trade) should cover. Did simular thing recently on 'damson blue'. colour. (holiday flat :rolleyes: ) Dont brush/roll out the paint too far lay off gently, make sure first coat dries proper before next coat or blue may grin through.
good luck.

" The problem however, is that one of the lining papered walls is a dark purple and I am concerned that it'll take many coats of lighter paint before it stops showing through. "

The number of coats of paint that it takes to hide an underlying colour has everything to do with the hiding ability of the primer or paint you use, and nothing whatsoever to do with the color you're painting over.

And, the hiding ability of a primer or paint depends entirely on the pigments that are in it.

Flat paints hide much better than gloss paints because more of the film volume is occupied by pigments that either block or scatter light as opposed to clear or transluscent plastic binder.

Also, some pigments hide better than others. All the "Earth Tone" pigments like mustard yellow, reddish brown, chocolate brown and black hide much better than the "colorwheel colours" like blood red, canary yellow, navy blue and hunter green.

Titanium dioxide (the most commonly used WHITE pigment) has the second highest hide of all the pigments used in architectural paints.

Consequently, primers and paints that use a lot of titanium dioxide will have much better hide than paints that use much less expensive white pigments like chaulk (calcium carbonate) or talc (magnesium silicate). But, primers and paints that use a lot of titanium dioxide will cost much more than paints that use much less expensive white pigments like chaulk or talc.

So, to get good hide in a primer or a white paint:

A) Expect to pay more because of the higher cost of titanium dioxide, and

B) in a paint, go for a flatter paint rather than a glossier one because flatter paints will have a higher volume ratio of pigments to clear plastic binder in the dry paint film. It's the pigments that both block and scatter light, and it's that blocking and scattering of light that promotes good hide.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to apply another layer of lining paper over the top to me, but if I were you I'd wait for a "time served" decorator to add his tuppence worth before proceeding.

:LOL:

agree with gycol on this, but if your wary of linning and just after a quick fix then 2 coats of magnolia Matt (trade) should cover. Did simular thing recently on 'damson blue'. colour. (holiday flat ) Dont brush/roll out the paint too far lay off gently, make sure first coat dries proper before next coat or blue may grin through.
good luck.

Yep...I agree with that...so that make fourpence worth.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back