painting over gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I was just looking for some helpful advice if possible

I have some to regloss my stairs bannister which has spindles that have been glossed in the past before i bought this Im not sure how many times it has been painted but looks quite a few times over the years by the previous owner. I

Im not that experienced at painting and decorating so was just wondering the best way complete this job Would i have to strip all the existing paint off or add an apply an primer undercoat or sand the paint work down (some of my neighbours are giving me different opinions)

Any advice/help would be appreciated as I would like to it right hopefully first time

Sponsored Links
Sand the gloss really well to create a good key for the new paint to stick to - then a coat of primer then top coat. (Two top coats if you want to be really pro)

don’t skimp on the sanding tho otherwise your new paint layer will chip off so easily with even the lightest scuff

I only remove paint if it has a tendency to chip (back to the wood). Otherwise I treat the existing paint as a kind of filler that can be sanded flat.

If you are planning to finish off with something like oil based eggshell, I would recommend applying oil based under coat. You only need primer if you are going back to the wood. You can use waterbased undercoat (which doubles up as primer on bare wood) if you prefer but oil based will give better colour obliteration. If you plan to use a waterbased finsih, you can still use the oild based undercoat but will have to wait afew days before applying the waterbased finish. If you use waterbased undercoat, you only need to wait as long as the instructions on the tin (eg 2 to 4 hours).

If the spindles are round, use suitable synthetic "wire" pads (eg Webrax) you provide a key, or the abrasive faced foam pads. They will bend around the surface.

https://www.axminstertools.com/hermes-webrax-hand-pad-ax23609

https://www.screwfix.com/p/festool-sanding-sponge-98-x-120mm-60-grit-6-pack/820hh

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back