Painting over marker pen on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some more indoor murals to paint over which have outlines done with marker pen.

When I've painted over other ones before I've used oil based gloss undercoat prior to emulsion otherwise the marker pen just kept bleeding through the fresh coats of emulsion.

Is there something better to use like Dulux Trade Problem Solving Basecoat? I'm not sure if the marker pen is water based or permanent.

Sponsored Links
I tried the Zinsser 123 on marker & ballpoint. did it ok but sometimes needs two coats. It's expensive, can be a bloody pest if it dont do it in one. Soo most times I use the old tried tested and cheapest way; as you do with oil based unders.
The Zinsser shelac based bin will do it in one hit and will be dry in an hour.
Happy muraling :p

The Zinsser shelac based bin sounds just the job, dry within the hour, one coat, it sounds a lot less messing about than waiting for two coats of oil based undercoat to dry.

I can't seem to find it though, Jewsons gave me a blank look when I mentioned the name Zinsser, they only seem to have Dulux and their own brand paint. I haven't tried our local Travis Perkins yet, though I've only noticed Dulux paint in there before.

Is there a Dulux equivalent?

Thanks

Wipe the marker pen off with a cream cleanser.

Sponsored Links
Yep sometimes ciff will clean it off , meths too, sometimes merely sanding small area's will do it. But for large area's a blocker is :cool:
More info; http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10
Clean up/Thin with Meths. Might be cheaper to use a cheap brush and sling it after.
I get mine from brewers/ Hurst Now brewers( :cry: ) Not sure if t/p do it. Think the larger warehouse sheds might sell it?

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back