Painting over rag roll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large hall - it is rag rolled. To be honest it looks like something out of a 80's dirty protest - some form of peach with gold/brown rag rolled over the top - the banister (wood) and skirting boards is painted in the same paint so I guess it was a contractor job. We have added an extension and I have spent a lot of time learning how to plaster - that is painted now in a nice (boring) magnolia and does look good. When we painted the rest of the hall with this rag rolled finish with magnolia it looks awful - like someone has dragged nails down the wall - admittedly we used B&Q trade cheapo matt magnolia over the rag roll.

would using better mat on top be better or do we need to prepare it some other way ?

Sponsored Links
Very difficult to get rid of a heavily painted rag roll texture. Even if you painted it with matt, you would probably still see it. Apart from trying to (if possible) sand it down a bit,,, not much more to suggest. Maybe the ultimate answer is to pva it and plaster skim over it.

Roughcaster.

When emulsion paint is raised after doing a paint effect it can be very difficult to sand down. As Rougcaster says you could re skim, or you could line it and paint on that. might be a bit cheaper.

I think skimming is a bit harsh..

Rub a small area down first and paint it (with a rooler0 and see how it looks...failing that id go for lining paper too..(still rub down first though)

Sponsored Links
Awww Zamp',, it would have been good practice at plastering for him. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

lol

tell you what though..if it was that dulux one the walls would have been bad..

dried rock hard...and left a massive texture..cant think of the name of it now.

Duet!...thats it..horrible stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back