Painting Over Varnished Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm wanting to paint over the wood paneled walls in the conservatory. I will sand down the wood but want to know what paint is best.

Do I need to use primer?
What paint, emulsion or oil based
Is it best to do a coat then rub down before next coat

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Painting over varnished wood you'll need to take it back to timber completely to prevent the paint coming off - you'll need a couple of weeks to spare and an overdeveloped attention-span!

However, if you sand back to provide a key and give it a coat of Zinsser BIN, you can then undercoat and a couple of coats of finish.

Zinsser BIN is magic stuff, not cheap, but when you compare that to time its well worth it. Sticks absolutely rock solid to just about anything dries in 20 mins and recoatable in 45 - mind you, it does smell a bit.

I'd steer clear of emulsion, brush marks/chipping/dirt. Go for a good quality undercoat and I would suggest Eggshell for your finish - easy to apply, hard wearing and gives a lovely soft-sheen finish.

I use Leyland/Johnstones, but Dulux trade is worth a try - just make sure that it is the Trade paint and not off the shelf retail stuff. Dulux trade centres will mix up any of their colours on a trade base.

And yes, it is a good tip to lightly sand over with a 200 grit paper, especially if you are going for a gloss finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back