Painting Over Vinyl Backing Paper (and Repairing It)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've peeled off a room full of old vinyl paper (and several layers of purple paint), leaving the backing paper which is largely in good condition.

Is it possible to paint straight onto this backing paper (it looks and feels very much like normal lining paper), and if so, what's the best approach to tears and small areas of missing paper?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think I'll go ahead and treat it like lining paper, fine surface filler on the tears, paste on the loose edges.

Right.

If I've hung the vinyl in the first place it'll be good.;)

The big secret about painting backing paper is (o.k first it has to be stuck down) when people apply a roll of vinyl, they don't soak it. So if and when you pull the top off it and then apply emulsion, it starts to bubble up.

I always soak it and have never had a split join.

The big secret about painting backing paper is (o.k first it has to be stuck down) when people apply a roll of vinyl, they don't soak it

Do you mean the success of the painting depends upon how the vinyl was originally applied?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

The big secret about painting backing paper is. when people apply a roll of vinyl, they don't soak it.
So if and when you pull the top off it and then apply emulsion, it starts to bubble up

Right.

After further inspection I may put lining paper over the vinyl's backing paper.

Yes.

The big secret about painting backing paper is. when people apply a roll of vinyl, they don't soak it.
So if and when you pull the top off it and then apply emulsion, it starts to bubble up

HI,
That was great,....and i will agree with you....you are really right...

Right.

After further inspection I may put lining paper over the vinyl's backing paper.

Papering over the backing paper is much the same as painting over the backing paper.

If you wanted to strip it, you'd wet it and that's what you're about to do.

It will bubble up when you apply your paper but it may gradually shrink back.

It all depends on how it was papered in the first place.

If you want to do it by the book... you should strip it, as you could create far more probs than you think you'd save.

The choice is yours. :confused:

Hmm. Looks like the room may need more plastering than initially thought so stripping the lot is sounding likely.

Problems re papering over paper make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back