Painting over wallpaper cost-effectively

Was just going to say, I used a steamer once and had to hold it on for so long ot blew the plaster in a few places. Oher than that once, I have always stripped majority of top layer. brush/sponge two strip widths with warm water and gently scraped off the paper. To keep a steady workflow, after stripping the first row I then wet the next row or two, so they are ready to move onto straight away. Once the furniture is away from the wall, I can usually strip a standard room, (12' x 12' say), in about 2-3 hours

Sponsored Links
Can I just add, you mention antique furniture and problems steaming. I'm a professional decorator and have wallpapered hundreds of rooms in my time and it is very rare I have to use a steamer. The top layer normally just pulls off and then you just wet the underneath with a brush, leave it 5 mins and then scrape it off.
Out of my last 30 wallpaper stripping jobs I've probably used a steamer twice and that was on woodchip!
Really? Interesting. I'll see what happens when I try that. Thus far, pulling at any loose patches just tears a small piece off, leaving the rest intact.

Can I just add, you mention antique furniture and problems steaming. I'm a professional decorator and have wallpapered hundreds of rooms in my time and it is very rare I have to use a steamer. The top layer normally just pulls off and then you just wet the underneath with a brush, leave it 5 mins and then scrape it off.
Out of my last 30 wallpaper stripping jobs I've probably used a steamer twice and that was on woodchip!

Good point about the papers where you can peel off the top layer. With the papers than don't have the separate top layer I normally puncture the paper with a paper tiger and use a pump up spray to soak it

I have an Earlex Steam Master and haven't used it for a few years. I paid about £150 for it approximately 16(?) years ago. They are now branded as Wagner and cost £600 !!!

Fortunately, I have only had the misfortune of removing wood chip twice.

If the paper is sound, I have in the past sanded away the printed part, vacuumed it and then applied lining paper over the top. I last did that in a double fronted detached house. I spent months decorating the hallway, including materials I invoiced over £12k. Most of the cost was prep., for a number of years it had been a HMO and the hallway was regularly toshed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's a really unusual situation as the wallpaper was already missing in a large, visible area and it looked dreadful.
If it's already missing a large area then you could've already stripped the rest of the paper instead of gabbing about it.
Crack on, lad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back