Painting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to try to renovate my internal doors which I've shown a pic of. I sanded them down and was advised that if I painted with 2 coats of satin wood paint it wasn't necessary to use undercoat?
I went for a water based paint because it dries quite quickly (5 hrs rather than quite a bit longer for oil based paint) but I'm getting yellow streaks showing through even though I've put 3 coats on one of the doors, is this because I didn't undercoat it should I have used oil based paint and put up with the lengthy drying time.
Really appreciate any help.
Btw I'm painting the doors white.

Attachments

• IMG20240210120442.jpg
    IMG20240210120442.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Always use an undercoat for the adhesion and opacity.

I'd of used zinsser BIN one coat and don't worry about opacity. it don't have much but will stick really well. One waterbased undercoat. Two top coats of satin.

Other option if you want to use waterbased paint only, is to use something like bullseye 123 waterbased undercoat. Two coats or satin

Thanks for the reply, so does that mean sanding then all down again and basically starting again with undercoat and then to coat?
When you say use zissner bin does that do away with the need for an undercoat? And what do you mean " don't worry about opacity" ?

BIN won't make the surface very white with good coverage unless you apply multiple coats so just go with the one coat. Then use an undercoat to to kill the background colour and make a good surface that's all white.
BIN will stick really well through, so use as an adhesion primer.
Can you get paint off and start again or just sand and undercoat? You can only decide that based on testing and effort your willing to give it.

Sponsored Links
I looked at the different ones available and thought that bullseye 123 would be good as it's a primer sealer and stain blocker, it's ok but I've put 3 coats on each door now and although it's improving I can still see the colour of the door in places. I've attached a pic I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, saved a fortune not replacing the doors but it's costing me loads in paint hope you can see what I mean, really appreciate y your replies

I would just add that I am using a roller, I've tried both foam and the other type of it possible I'm rolling too much?

Bullseye 123 is not a good stain blocker. Says it is but you need to read up on what it's good for. It's more for older aged stains . I think you are getting staining coming through. Bullseye 123+ or zinsser BIN aqua would work better but I'd definitely coat with BIN to kill any staining for a sure thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back