Painting Railings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had some new railing for the outside of my house delivered. The next task is to paint them for which I have bought red oxide primer and hammerite topcoat.

The metal of the railings has some sort of coating on it - presumably to prevent rust. It makes the metal a dull dark grey colour and leaves black marks on your hands when you handle the metal.

Only the most aggressive sanding removes it, a wipe over with white spirit seems remove some - as it no longer marks your hands after but the metal remains dull grey. Obviously the patches where the railings have been preped for welding are shiney but it would take hours and hours to achieve this all over.

My question is, can I just paint onto the railings as is - will the paint adhere ok?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have just had some new railing for the outside of my house delivered. The next task is to paint them for which I have bought red oxide primer and hammerite topcoat.

The metal of the railings has some sort of coating on it - presumably to prevent rust. It makes the metal a dull dark grey colour and leaves black marks on your hands when you handle the metal. O

nly the most aggressive sanding removes it, a wipe over with white spirit seems remove some - as it no longer marks your hands after but the metal remains dull grey. Obviously the patches where the railings have been preped for welding are shiney but it would take hours and hours to achieve this all over.

My question is, can I just paint onto the railings as is - will the paint adhere ok?

Oh dear!!! your trying to sand the galvanised coating off? This coating should not be sanded and needs a special primer not red oxide which is ok for bare metal.
A calcium plumbate primer is the traditional stuff. the best way is an acid etch wash, (grey moment) but forget that now and prime onto the galvanising with zinsser 123. ((after a wipe over with white spirit and allow to dry)) then you can carry on with hammerite or whatever you want.

No, definitely not a glavanized coating. IF leave a spot of water anywhere on the railings and you get a spot of surface rust the next day. This is just some sort of oil or grease or some such. You get a dirty black mark on your hand when you handle it.

Oh I see.
wonder if it's sometihing like waxoyl. (spell?) which white spirit is the thinner/ clean up.
suppose this is a form of protection which might be better than the thin black coating you normally get with wrought iron, but lot of work cleaning off.
Suppose the only way is white spirit and wire wool, though I would'nt try to get it all shiny. perhaps clean a couple of rails, let dry, coat in the red oxide ans see if it dries etc??

Good Luck...

Sponsored Links
I think it will be black from the hot-rolling mill, un;less it is an anti-rust phosphae coating. Rub it with a coarse cloth. If it adheres firmly and is not greasy or oily you do not need to take it off. Use white spirit to remove any grease. I don't beleieve the suppliers would have put waxoyl on it.

Red Oxide is fine but there are more modern metal preservative primers around.

Use your wire wool to remove any rust patches before you start or they may grow under the paint.

I am sure it is not an anti-rust coating. I have tried wiping it over with white spirit and a rag. The rag turns very black and although the metal does not visably clean up it no longer leaves much of a dirty mark on your hand when handled.

Do I need to rub over with wire wool to provide a key before painting or just remove the little surface rust spots?

I don't think wire wool will provide a key, it will just polish the surface. Check instrs on your primer tin.

The primer tin says sand it. I cannot say i am keen on the prospect of sanding every little bit and angle.

But a job done properly I suppose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back