Painting skirtings and doors

The problem I have with oil-based white paint (for wood) is that it goes yellow over time. To get around this I am sticking with water based satinwood.

But thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Ive just bought some Zinsser BIN. I will give it a go and will then report back as to the differences between BIN (Shellac based) and Bullseye123 (water based).

I cant say that Im at all impressed with Bullseye123. Its not gripping too well and can be scratched off using a fingernail. Lets hope BIN fairs better.

So you dont sand the wood down?

Also, I am going to be using satinwood paint; should I still use "undercoat for gloss paint".

And what purpose does sugar soap serve over plain water or water mixed with some detergent?

No, I don't sand it because it would be soul-destroying. I hate sanding! Where there is unevenness I do, but not all over.

And yes, undercoat for gloss paint is best. Emulsion and stuff chips off easily, and if you've painted over it then it chips off with all your painting on top. Not good. Proper undercoat for gloss sticks properly and makes a better base.

And Sugar Soap is just better. :) It's very alkaline (I think) and really gets all the layers off and goes right back to the underlying paint in one easy go. Cuts a lot of effort. Wash with Sugar Soap, wipe dry with a tea-towel, and away you go. It is honestly much, much less effort than cleaning with detergent, and you can tell the difference, I promise you.

No, I don't sand it because it would be soul-destroying. I hate sanding! Where there is unevenness I do, but not all over.

LOL. Yeah, I hate sanding down too. I spent 3hrs sanding down today with wet paper. I wanted to get away from it, but unfortunately, liquid sandpaper is apparently useless.

Anyway, I tested out Zinsser (shellac based) BIN. I painted a small part of the arcatrave (which is painted using the glossiest gloss you can imagine). After 3hrs, the Zinsser is dry enough to have stuck fast to this gloss paint. Im struggling to get the thing off. From what Ive heard, its grip will increase with time.

In comparison, 3 days ago, I painted over the same gloss paint using Bullseye 123 (water based) and found that even after 3 days, its grip is weak enough to allow me to use my fingernail to scratch it off.

In summary, if you find that Zinsser Bullseye 123 isnt grippy/tough enough, then try Zinsser BIN. In my limited experience Zinsser BIN is grippier and tougher.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back