Painting soffits and facias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My soffits and facias are in dire need of some work doing. The plan is to give them a rub down, then paint.

Problem is paint with what exactly?

Was looking at Dulux Weathershield but blimey it's not cheap. Do I need to use an undercoat of something, or will a couple of coats of this suffice?

Sponsored Links
Hi Fordy81 - I was in a similar situation a few years back. I used the Dulux Weather Shield system at first, you need to undercoat first then apply gloss coat probably 2 coats of each, with significant drying times. Your facias and soffits must be sound i.e no rot etc and always sand to provide a key making sure the surface is clean prior to application.

I will now say after some experience, I now only ever use a product called Zinsser, this stuff is water based and provides excellent results. The manufacturer claims that no sanding is required but I found it was always best to lightly sand and clean the surface prior to application. Depending on the current colour of your facias and soffits would denote whether you need the primer first. The products are called Zinsser 123 bullseye primer/sealer (1 coat) & Zinsser Permawhite Exterior ( 15 year guarantee) (2 coats) this stuff dries quickly and is recoatable in an hour or two. I really wouldn't use anything else now. Of course this is just my opinion. Only drawback is just white available, also this is cheaper than the weathershield products.

Sponsored Links
You get back what you put in, in finish and longevity.

I always use Dulux trade.

Remove guttering(simple unclip),not hangers.

Rub back with 80g, spot prime bare wood, two under coats of ob or wb trade Weather shield, then two top coats.

On a decent day temperature wise, primer is dry in an hour, ob uc about 3 hours, wb uc an hour.

Doing it the right way means longer life, and how often do you want to be on a tower, scaffold or ladders?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back