Painting Stripped Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please help.

I have stripped my walls of wallpaper and would like to paint the bare plaster rather than repaper. I have filled and sanded all areas that required attention and from view they look ready for paint.

My question is do i need to seal the walls with say a primer sealer or pure oil based paint to stop the paste which will obviously be present within the plaster surface from reacting with my water based emulsion paint.

Ultimately i don't want to start the job and realise i should have sealed the paste into the wall before trying to put my finish coats of paint on the wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You wont need any special primer sealer, but what you must do is wet the walls in and scrub and scrape them until you are certain you have got rid of all the old paste that has soaked into them

If you dont the paint will bubble up as soon as it goes on, causing you untold grief..

Once the walls are clean then you can first coat them with a mist coat approx 20-30% water in your paint.

Hi,

Clean with some sugar soap yes.. but the key to it really is to give the walls a really good rubdown with sandpaper before you paint.

They should be fine after that.

Thanks

Moderator's note:
Advertising link removed

Mod Rupert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back