Painting the outside of a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front of our house is rendered which was painted about 7 years ago and is looking a bit tired so I have been tasked with smartening it up!

Couple of questions. There is no flaking paint so I presume I just need to give the wall a quick wash down prior to painting to get rid of excess dirt and dust? May be a stupid question, but what would I use to wash the wall? Sugar soap solution? And using what? Internally I'd use a sponge but I can see this being ripped to pieces. How about a paint roller dipped in the solution although not sure if this would get the dirt off.

How many coats of paint do you think I would need? I'll probably go for Dulux Weathshield or similar and was thinking a couple of coats would do. Should that be enough?

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Allow all new surfaces to dry out completely. Wash down previously painted surfaces with a detergent solution to remove
dirt, grease, chalking paint etc. where practicable. Rinse off with clean water and allow to dry. Carefully scrape back to a firm
edge all areas of poorly adhering or defective coatings and rub down thoroughly to ‘key and feather’ broken edges of
existing coatings. Treat any areas affected by mould, lichens, algae and moss with **Weathershield Multi-Surface
Fungicidal Wash. Make good minor defects with an appropriate Polycell filler. Use a sand and cement mix for larger holes
and cracks. Allow to dry. New or sound bare surfaces should be sealed with a thinned first coat of Weathershield Smooth
Masonry Paint (add up to 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint). Surfaces that remain powdery, friable or chalky after thorough
preparation should be sealed with a coat of Weathershield Stabilising Primer.
Note: Do not seal sound new or bare surfaces with stabilising primer.
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Stir thoroughly before use.
The normal finishing process is 2 full coats of Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint, but on previously painted surfaces in
good condition, where similar colours are used, 1 coat may be sufficient.
Note: Do not use in extreme of temperature (below 7°C) or during rain.

There you go.
Instead of me wittering on about it, I nicked the above from the Dulux tin.

Thanks Growler.

Must have taken you a while to type out!!

Thanks Growler.

Must have taken you a while to type out!!

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about painting the rendered walls, or the exterior woodwork (window frames, doors etc)?

Sorry - ignore me. Just read it properly!

How do you delete posts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back