Painting Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I'm new here and I'm after a bit of advice. I am about to decorate the house I've recently moved into and I don't know where to start.

I want to lighten the hallway and stairs which have been painted a sunburnt orange and yellow but I don't know anything about colours nor about quantities of paint. Would one coat be enough.

Is it best to paint doors and frames a contrasting/different colour as the ones here look like they haven't been touched.

Thirdly I'd like to paint the kitchen a light colour but this means painting over tiles. I also want to paint the cabinets the same colour but have a hint of another colour. I remember seeing a programme a while back where a great effect was achieved (ageing I think) with thinned down paint over a base colour. Am I making sense?

If anyone can offer up tips or advice I would be grateful.

Regards

Metalhead

Sponsored Links
I want to lighten the hallway and stairs which have been painted a sunburnt orange and yellow but I don't know anything about colours nor about quantities of paint. Would one coat be enough.

Look on the back of the can for guidnece on ceverage, it will give you the area a can will cover in sqare metres I would deductabout 155 off that figure...its never acurate

One coat over orangie yellow...doubt it..remember two coats are better than one thick one.

Is it best to paint doors and frames a contrasting/different colour as the ones here look like they haven't been touched.

Your choice matey...there are no right an wrongs with colour it personal choice..but as a I would go for lighter woodwork than the wall colour

Thirdly I'd like to paint the kitchen a light colour but this means painting over tiles. I also want to paint the cabinets the same colour but have a hint of another colour. I remember seeing a programme a while back where a great effect was achieved (ageing I think) with thinned down paint over a base colour. Am I making sense?

Tell me more about your cupboards...are they wooden?

Mr Zampa.

Reading through other posts and questions I can only be amazed at your input on here. You truly are a gentleman of the information super highway :eek:

In reply to your question the kitchen cupboards are wooden. I've seen some stunning chrome handles that I want to put on them. The bare walls of the kitchen are dark green at the moment and the tiles an earthy light brown kind of colour. With the cupboards also quite dark in appearance I want to bring some light and space into what is quite a small kitchen.

Thanks for your previous help and I hope the above provides you with the answers you were after.

Regards

Metalhead

Thanks for the compliment....your obviously a very good judge of character! ;)

Ok as they are wood....assuming you mean proper wood grain finish and not melamine coated wood.....

Take all the fittings off, give them a good wash down with sugar soap, making sure you rinse well,......then gice them a good rub down with a fine-ish grade adbrasive paper 100 grit should do.

Next get yourself a tin of Dulux Super Grip primer and whack that on.

Then fill the holes the old fittings made...unless he new ones will go back in the same holes.

Allow to dry and harden up then give them a couple of coats of eggshell finsh

Now the good bit.....

Take some rougher glass abrasive paper....

And rub em down again!....dont go to mad work on the edges and areas that would normally get worn.

You can get a similar effect by rub vaselene on certain areas, painting then scraping off afterwards but it may not be good in your situation as you will need a decent primer on there to stick to the varnished finish of the doors.

Its really quite easy and a good effect too.

Sponsored Links
flattery gets you everywhere.....and swells his head :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back