Painting Wooden Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wooden windows have been part stained and part painted on the outside. Different colours. I want to tidy them up in one colour.

Is it best to remove all the paint from the windows with a paint remover and then stain the whole lot, or paint the whole lot?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry to state the obvious, depends if you want them painted or stained!

Either way your prep is critical, the painted part is not too bad but woodstain is difficult to get anything to stick.

So big sand to get as much of previous material off as possible and get a smooth surface to work to.

If painting I have used Zinsser BIN as a primer, (sticks solid to virtually anything, re-paintable within an hour) then undercoat and a couple of top coats

If you're going for woodstain you'll have to get back to bare timber and give it 2-3 coats of your preferred finish (I like Sadolin, goes on a treat).

A big sand should do the job in getting back to the bare surface. If it doesn't, and the stain is deeply pregnated into the suface, you may want to try a wood bleach (Vitableach works well) to get a uniform base and then an exterior microporous finish (Woodshield).

Agree with Aardvark about a shellac based white primer if you wish to go down the painted route. A cheaper alternative to Zin Bin is MULTiSEAL.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back