Pan for toilet habits

There are hundreds of threads about toilet cisterns, traps, suite types, but this thread is the nearest that come to the problem that I am raising. This is about the shape of the pan, bowl or commode; specifically the vertical profile of inside of back and front. This is about toilet pan which is not self-cleansing. I have been lucky not having to use one of this type of pans where I lived through most of my life. I have seen one of my relatives had installed one, and I have just been in a hotel in Italy that has one of these horrible toilet pans. The en-suite even had a bidet. If the faeces land on a sloping wall of various gradient from almost flat to up to 45 or 60 or even more degrees, the faeces will stick to the pan and you might have to flush 10 times to get the pan cleaned, unless you brush and clean it yourself. If the back of the bowl is nearly vertical and front wall is sloping where the urine might flow down, that is the normal pan that functions well with least problem of cleansing. If that profile is reversed for some awkward reason then it is a dirty toilet. Once I used one of these nasty almost flat bottom pans in a ship used as a hotel; fortunately it had a miracle flushing syphon-cistern that cleaned itself without a problem. I am bit unhappy about the existence of this abnormal shape of toilet pan which is not self-cleansing, because I might run into one of them now and then.
:confused: :oops: :rolleyes: :?:

Sponsored Links
Put a few sheets of paper in the water b4 you take crap thats a good antisplash. Went skiing in Romania many years ago, up the mountain, shed with a hole in the ground, your deposit slipped down the mountain. Glad I didnt go back in the summer.

You can't beat the crash mat. Especially when going in the middle of the night in someone else's house. :LOL:

Once used a bog in Italy where the seat rotated after flushing. I thought I was p*ssed.

I took this photo when I visited a café in Venice, because it is a cross between the normal commode and the squatting pan found in the developing countries. As you can see it does not have a seat. Besides this pan is lower than the normal toilet pan and may be bit small – unfortunately the photograph doesn’t highlight this effect. I saw a toilet(s) in Belfast Uni without a seat, otherwise the pan was normal, except it might have been steel.
If you wonder why my interest with lavatories, I did an M.Eng long ago that had a content about excreta related diseases and loos.
:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The flat base pan used to be standard fitment in the old tenement flats in Glasgow and they used to have a large square wooden seat.
Having moved to England as a youngster, it was a pleasure to visit relatives back in Glasgow and be able to sit on the wooden seat and hold on to the corners (had short legs then) and not get my backside splashed when I had a poo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back