Panel between windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am going to replace my wooden windows with UPVc ones. Between the windows (see picture) I have a gap which is not brick and not tile, it is some unknown stuff, probably a cement board.

What can I use to cover this gap? Some plastic panel or similar, can you please recommend, maybe there are some special products on the market for this?

Thanks,

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Be careful here, this could be AIB, hard to tell from the picture but from experience and previous employment by an asbestos removal contractor this might be it, if so it is notifiable to the HSE and be removed by a certified removal firm

Be careful here, this could be AIB, hard to tell from the picture but from experience and previous employment by an asbestos removal contractor this might be it, if so it is notifiable to the HSE and be removed by a certified removal firm

Thanks,

I have recently bought this house and had a home owners (more detailed) survey done, it did not mention any asbestos. In adition, I will not be removing it, I just want to cover it.

Sorry but I don't see how you could replace the windows but leave the panel in place [to cover it], it looks like the frame is all in one piece

Sponsored Links

Thanks,

I have recently bought this house and had a home owners (more detailed) survey done, it did not mention any asbestos. In adition, I will not be removing it, I just want to cover it.

There are bricks behind that panel, i.e. from inside the room there is a brick wall between the windows. That is why I am confused about this panel.

Yes the inner skin is there but once you begin to replace the window either side you will find it is actually one whole window with a blanking panel in the middle instead of a glazed panel.

So, H&S and removal aside, you just specify a window with a blanking panel in the centre rather than gazing, you can get glass or upvc panels.

The technical name for this panel is a spandrel panel.

Yes the inner skin is there but once you begin to replace the window either side you will find it is actually one whole window with a blanking panel in the middle instead of a glazed panel.

So, H&S and removal aside, you just specify a window with a blanking panel in the centre rather than gazing, you can get glass or upvc panels.

The technical name for this panel is a spandrel panel.

Thanks Freddy,

Can I buy two UPVc windows and a separate panel? Or do I need to buy a big (long) window as one piece?

Thanks,

Just buy one big window and specify a blank panel in the middle, pack the void between the panel and the inner skin with some rockwool.

The panel could well be asbestos, but it looks to be fitted into a timber frame window with external beading which should make it easy to remove with no damage.
In which case it should be easy to double bag it and take it to your local tip.

I would recommend getting it tested first though. Have a google about asbestos testing and you can find how to take a sample and send it off. I think it only costs about £30.

The window (and more importantly the rotten cill) can then all be replaced together in one go.

Thanks guys,

Do you know how do I take the measurements of this sprandel panle? Brick to brick is simple, but what about the pannel and how big the windows should be? Do I just make it +- 3 cm, or there are some methods on measuring it?

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back