Pangasius And Chips Anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to my local chippie last night for a cod lot. Seems they have stopped selling cod, and now offer a fish called a Pangasius.

As I had never heard of it, I opted for the health-food option (pie and chips) instead.

Has anyone had a Pangasius, and how does it compare with cod? Has cod now become an expensive luxury?

Sponsored Links
Seems OK to me! I just googled it and found this:

1. Pangas are teeming with high levels of poisons and bacteria. (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB)). The reasons are that the Mekong River is one of the most polluted rivers on the planet and this is where pangas are farmed and industries along the river dump chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. To Note: a friend lab tests these fish and tells us to avoid eating them due to high amounts of contamination. Regardless of the reports and recommendations against selling them, the supermarkets still sell them to the general public knowing they are contaminated.

Sponsored Links
now lets be sure here.. was it pangas ( river cobbler ) or panga.. they're different fish..

panga is caught off the coast of affrica somewhere, not farmed from vietnam...

Seems OK to me! I just googled it and found this:

1. Pangas are teeming with high levels of poisons and bacteria. (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB)). The reasons are that the Mekong River is one of the most polluted rivers on the planet and this is where pangas are farmed and industries along the river dump chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. To Note: a friend lab tests these fish and tells us to avoid eating them due to high amounts of contamination. Regardless of the reports and recommendations against selling them, the supermarkets still sell them to the general public knowing they are contaminated.

So have less toxins in them than most food then? Cool! Only joking - several chippies - sorry chip shops, sell fish that is advertised as something that it isn't. I recommend you report your chip shop to trading standards regarding this, I bet they sold that fish - whatever it is, at the same price as cod?

"Final important note: Because of the prodigious amount of availability of Pangas, be warned that they will certainly find their way into other foods: surimi (those pressed fish things, imitation crab sticks), fish sticks, fish terrines, and probably in some pet foods. (Warn your dogs and cats and hamsters and gerbils and even your pet fish!)"

I've warned my pond fish not to have anything to do with those pangas.

yeah, I thought it was quite good too....

oh

wait

you mean the pies....

Pangas, that sound nasty...
Ill stick with cod/haddock or even sword...

Best not to go with Cod, as they are being farmed to extinction, I didn't even know that Marlin? (swordfish), was available until earlier tonight, apparently a texture like pork..?

I like the taste of certain fish, but know I'm taking my life into my own hands when eating any, due to bones, or then afterwards feeding my pondfish, and they smell the cannibal within me, for eating their own, and jump out of the water to attack. Well the fish named after me is laid back, but the fish named after my partner goes for me, can carp be bred with phiranna?

pangasius is also sold as Vietnamese river cobbler, and regularly mis-sold to aquarium owners as a small fish that quickly gets very big(no surprise most publlic aquariums have a fair view).
Some of the stories about toxins,poisons etc are blown way out of proportion and there seems to be a campaign aginst them being sold in Europe, possibly from European sea fishermen??
Qoute Spanish domestic fishermen are suffering from this tough competition, and have complained to their government. Some lobbyists said that there were cases of food poisoning related to pangasius imported from Viet Nam, The Spanish agency for Food Security and Nutrition tested batches of catfish imported into Spain from Viet Nam in July 2008, these tested negative for any toxic substances banned by the EC. In January 2009, Spain’s Ministry of Health and Consumer Affairs confirmed Vietnamese catfish met food safety regulations set by the EU and posed no danger to consumer health.
The fish have been sold in UK and other European countries for quite a few years already and its important to remember that this is a "farmed" fish, farmed by local people. So not only is it sustainable but it gives villagers in far out places employment and income. Some of the major farms have reported losses admittedely due to the low price but there are still an army of small farms making a living from these fish.
Personally I've eaten it on a number of occassions, its a little bland but takes flavour well, making it excellent for curries, stir fries, etc...
I would encourage you to give it a go ;) [/i]

its also worth noting these fish are not raised in the Mekong river as some people claim but in purpose built fish ponds

Didn't pangasius fly too close to the sun and his wings melted.

Sponsored Links
Back