Papering Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished mist coating the ceiling before it is painted. It was artex but I stripped it back and opened and filled cracks etc.

The paper is paste the ceiling type. Do I need a specific paste?

I'm assuming 1 mist coat is fine? I will size day before putting up!

Sponsored Links
What kind of paper is it?

When I line ceilings I just use the starch based powdered Solvite. When newly plastered/filled I just apply the paste to both the wall and ceiling (simultaneously). I rarely ever bother using a dilute mix as a size and have had no problems (as a pro) to date.

When using paste the wall papers I use the premix (PVA) pastes. I am not too fussy about the brand but when working with very expensive or heavy papers I tend to use the paste recommended by the manufacturer.

Oh and when using paste the wall I do use size, you will need to decide if you want to use a brush or roller. the size will be very runny and likely to splash. The full fat adhesive I apply with a roller.

After the size has dried check for any grit on the surface, especially if the ceiling is lath and plaster. A very light sand should dislodge the grit without disturbing the size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back