Parapet repairs DIYable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, the roof of my Victorian terrace requires some repairs. The main roof is nothing fancy, standard gabble with an original double extension on the back with a single pitched roof on it. I've had a few roofers around to identify the issues and they are:

- Both parapet walls need refurbishment on both roofs as there are cracks in the concrete render.
- The concrete coping stones need replacing on one side and the clay ones on the other side need re-laying on a new DPM.
- The ridge tiles need re-bedding.
- The single pitched roof needs 6 cloak tiles added to the end column of tiles.
- Chimney stack needs re-pointing and potentially rendering.

I'm really struggling to find a roofer locally with the time to do it within the next few weeks and it's really holding up my house refurbishment as I don't want to plaster until I'm certain it's water tight. Now I appreciate there must be a lot of skill involved to do this work and I have absolutely no experience, but how viable is this as a DIY job?

To me, the complexities are in the correct mortar mix for the relevant sections. Concrete has been used previously but everything I've read relating to solid brick, Victorian terraces encourages the use of lime mortar. One quote said they can start in 3 weeks but said it will cost around £3k which is a lot more than what I was expecting, considering the costs to my eyes are:

- 20 coping stones (guess at £20/stone so £400)
- 6 cloak tiles (guess at £5/tile so £30)
- DPM sheeting (£50/roll?)
- Mixes of mortar (Guess at £100)
- Scaffold front and rear circa. £500
- Labour @ £200 per person, per day.

I'm no expert but have stripped two rooms back to brick with a SDS with a chisel attachment and this took about a day per room average (some section were quicker where lime plaster was used, concrete significantly harder). I'd say looking at the size of the parapet walls that it should take 2-3 people no more than a day to complete the whole job. I'd say a fair quote would be starting at £1500 and moving to £2000 if there were unforeseen complications. Can anyone comment on this? I appreciate the price could shoot up if I've got my educated guesses wrong on costs.

Sponsored Links
Why not post photos of the job from the ground, and at roof height if possible?

Just to update, I had several other roofers come to take a look. None of them got back to me, presumably because they wouldn't make enough money on it? One estimated £1400 with a further £500 max if there are unforeseen problems. This price was minus the scaffold which I've arranged for £450 (incl. a £50 fee for having it on the pavement). I think even this may be slightly over the odds but I have no other choice.

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 126

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back