Leaky roof- repairs enough?

Any thoughts on reusing existing tiles and replacing any damaged ones with reclaimed? Spoken to downstairs neighbour and looking like we are going to go for the full roof relay as all the repairs were adding up! Seems to be around £8k reusing tiles/ £13k new clay tiles so quite a difference!

Thanks again for help on here!

Worst pics for reference-

IMG_4641.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
A roofer worth their salt and with good experience will be able to estimate how far through their life span those tiles are, then you can make a decision whether to keep or not.
If you fancy cutting the felt back and taking a pic of the underside of some the look of the manufacturer wording might give some clues as to the age

The inside pic of the chimney stack that is soaking- is that related to the external stack that has been capped or the one that still has 3 pots on?

Edit: cheers for the correction, dr

Last edited:
A roofer worth their salt and with good experience will be able to estimate how far through their life span those tiles are, then you can make a decision whether to keep or not.
If you fancy cutting the felt back and taking a pic of the underside of some the look of the manufacturer wording might give some clues as to the age

The inside pic of the chimney stack that is soaking- is that related to the external stack that has been capped or the one that still has 3 pots on?
Thanks, again I’ve had mixed opinions but 2 out of 4 quotes have said to replace tiles. My cousin thought they were a Belgium tile if that gives any more clues?

The chimney stack has 3 pots on so looking to get these capped too.

Edit- meant to ask - are they ‘capped’ with a chimney cowling?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

No they are not from Belgium .
Remember , if you change the tile, which I wouldn't.. there is a resale value
Thanks for your comment, can I ask why you wouldn’t replace? I’ve had a couple of roofers tell me ‘they’re well past their life’ or ‘they have seen their last day’!

There will no doubt be benefits for a roofer in getting you to have new tiles.

Firstly there probably charging to supply them so there's probably a nice 20% in their pocket for no work.

Secondly as alluded to above they can just launch your tiles in a skip instead of having to carefully handle them off the roof, clean them then carefully refit them.

Secondly as alluded to above they can just launch your tiles in a skip instead of having to carefully handle them off the roof, clean them then carefully refit them.
'Your' tiles? Lol.

Once a contract has been agreed to dispose of the tiles, they become a cost issue for the roofer. If the customer wants to salvage any tiles, they are welcome to erect a scaffold and remove them and carry them down, a few days before we arrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back