Thoughts on a quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI All

Received a quote this morning to do some work on the leadwork and flashing around the rear chimney stack (theres a leak coming down the back of the chimney and into the loft).

The roofer reckoned it would be best to renew everything rather than attempt to repair the specific problem (the back gutter) being that it's 90 years old and he'll require scaffolding to do the job so might as well while he's up there.

Sound sensible I must say.

The quote says:

"Erect scaffolding (two storey house) to gain access to stack. Allow to remove all leadwork around base of stack and install code 3 lead soakers and code 4 flashings and aprons, lead back gutter to be code 5. Lead wedge and point in, include for removal and re-fitting of tiles to suit."

My knowledge of roofing is zero and I'd really appreciate if anyone could comment on whether the above makes sense.
Also, would been keen to hear your thoughts on an ex-VAT quote for the work.

Many thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine, makes good sense..
Vat has no bearing on work quality if thats what you mean, i know some excelent tradespersons that choose to trade below VAT limits there by avoiding registration and not getting bogged down with addition paper work.

I think he means what would the cost be ex VAT??
I might be wrong though, it's been known :LOL:

Me, without seeing it, about £650-800 subject to chimney size, access for scaffold, slates or tiles, blah blah. Now that's a proper roofers term that! :evil:

Just wanted your thoughts on cost ex-VAT so that I'm comparing like with like.

And the answer is.......£940

plus VAT!

Sponsored Links
$ U R R E Y...that`s why :LOL: ........want me to come up with a ladder from Sussex. Look and give a second opinion :?: ;) I`ve done a bit of leadwork since 1972.........£940+vat=£11045 :eek: £ovely area, $urrey

Spooked, what and how difference to job difficulty do you find in tiles and slates?

tom,
If a slate gets broken anywhere on the roof how do you replace it? You have to use a slate rip to pull the nails out and then use a hanger to keep the new slate in place, after many slates have broken over the years it gets very ugly.
When you are slating a complete roof and you slip, drop the hammer and break a slate halfway down the roof, how do you make the roof as new without taking all the slates above it off? You can't, you have to do as i've said above, not what the customer has paid for.
If you break a concrete/clay tile, you push the tiles above the broken tile up, or even lift the above tiles, take out the debris, replace the tile and pull or drop the tiles back into place, good as new!!
Pan tiles require much less time fixing and are considerably cheaper than slates.
I personally see no contest and never understand why people choose to spend a fortune on slates, but it's their money so....... :)

Spooked, just remembered to ask. What do you do when faced with cut slates at a valley that have come loose ? Do you usually use a "hanger"( do you mean a strip of lead or is there something purpose made for slates?) I have heard of siliconing cut slates in place.

tom,
Yes they do purpose made hangers/hooks, plastic with an adjustable strap and of grey colour so it blends in well (ish), stainless steel and some others :eek:
Yes, lots of people silicone slates into place, this is ok for the small cuts in valleys where the shape makes it impractical to use slate hangers/hooks, but, if you go fixing whole slates all over the roof using silicone that can cause problems if one of the slates you have stuck your new slate to gets broken at a later date.
You probably know that trying to pull stuff apart once siliconed is a tad difficult, you end up getting :mad: and causing yet more damage. :confused: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back