parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I get to my question I have been reading the previous posts on preparing, sanding and varnishing parquet flooring. I now have a beautiful blond oak floor ready for finishing. Albeit with some wholes in it hence my question. Many thanks for those who offered thier time and expertise regarding these posts.

I took your advice on finding replacement blocks. After exploring the options I had a local company make some blocks out of some Oak shelving. Having just received them at a mere cost of £30 I have two problems I need advice on.

1) the blocks i have had made are not tounge and groove. Do I need to take any extra measures when I lay them? I thought of glueing them together.

2) I have installed a fireplace with a curved hearth. The blocks that meet the wall are parallel to it in strips of 2 blocks wide. The rest of the floor is wishbone pattern of the flooring. How do I edge around the curved hearth?

Sponsored Links
Timmo said:
1) the blocks i have had made are not tounge and groove. Do I need to take any extra measures when I lay them? I thought of glueing them together.

If you're talking about just some blocks and they fit into the open spaces, just glue them to the underfloor and give sufficient time for the adhesive to bond.

Timmo said:
2) I have installed a fireplace with a curved hearth. The blocks that meet the wall are parallel to it in strips of 2 blocks wide. The rest of the floor is wishbone pattern of the flooring. How do I edge around the curved hearth?

If the pattern already reaches the sides of the fireplace IMHO you should try to follow that pattern, including the two block border. Or, make an extra 'feature' of the fireplace by only installing an (extra) two or three (because of the curve) border.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back