Part J - log burner clearances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this seems mad to me, but my interpretation of clearances is that the hearth can be free standing 150mm from a wall and the stove 150mm off the back of the hearth, and then there is no requirement for the wall. However an uninsulated flue must be 3x flue diam (so 450mm for 6") away from combustibles. My last stove sure got hotter than the flue I reckon!! I must be misunderstanding something???

As an aside, since I have to internally insulate the wall, I'm thinking of steel studs rather than timber, and possibly using vermiculite board (if can get u-val past inspector) for section behind flue with cement board in place of the final p-board ...all because of that 450mm

Sponsored Links
Any other ideas for providing non combustible insulation etc to the wall behind log burner and flue?
This is a brick and block 2 leaf wall with no cavity that was garage and will become living space.

cheers

The only stoves I know of that can be close to a wall are the twin wall convection type, some only need 150mm. They are nowhere near as hot as a single skin flue pipe. A normal box log burner quite often needs to be 800mm or so away from non combustible materials. What log burnerror do you have?

Not purchased yet, but I was going to go for the same as in the last place since very pleased with it. A Clearview Pioneer 400.
I am hoping that I can solve the wall insulation to keep it all non-combustible in the required vicinity, that would seem to be the best option.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
not understanding your problem. Brick, block, plasterboard and skim are not deemed to be combustible materials

But since this room incorporates an extension then the walls insulation needs to be upgraded and the only place for it is internal in front of the block work. Cheers

So what's the construction of the extension, why wasn't it insulated when built, and can you point me to the regs regarding the insulation needing to be increased.

The extension is insulated but the rest of the room isn't as it is knocked thru to garage. Since it is now habitable space it needs insulating I thought to comply with BRegs. If that isn't the case then a vermiculite board will suffice and cement board over that. I hope you're right!

Someone may jump in, but I don't think there's a need to insulate for putting in a stove, but it's a good thing to do. I would agree with what you're intending to do, but what are you intended to cover the cement board with. I've tiled on to vermiculite, and using a heat resisant cement, you could do the same if the stove lets out too much heat to the back.

I was trying to avoid tiles etc, keeping it minimal. Maybe it is possible to create a fine textured rendered skim, maybe tile adhesive for its more workable properties? and/or roller a thin mix on??? then paint that in a darker tone of the main wall colour ...so grey then :)

I'm not just putting a stove in. This is extension, garage conversion and stove all in one go under building control. I'll see what BCO says next time he comes. Just good to get the ideas in the bank first!

cheers

Plasterboard is deemed as flammable when it comes to installing a log burner. It eventually crumbles when exposed to high temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back