Part P amendments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a quick read of Statutory Instrument 2006 No. 652 which has a few amendments to Part P (see 20,21,22.)
Can't understand why "replacing an external door (where the door together with its frame has not more than 50% of its internal face area glazed);"is covered by Part P?

Sponsored Links
Well spotted. I can see no earthly (no pun intended) reason for that clause being there. Presumably it's a typo.

It's part of the Building Regulations, not Approved Document Part P.

The heading in the 2004 SI No. 3210 is

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

Makes sense now?

Ah - yes it does. Thanks Stoday.

On a slightly picky note though, surely "Approved Document Part P" has been completely superceded by SI 2004:3210, by adding a section of Building Regulations called Part P into the latter.

Sponsored Links
not really afaict the approved documents serve a different purpose from the building regulations themselves.

The regulations themselves are deliberately vauge both because MPs have to understand them and because being too prescriptive stunts progess (progress in building methods generally means doing things differently from the accepted norm).

the approved document offers an easy and well defined way to ensure compliance for those who aren't doing anything unusual.

I'm confused again now. Considering that:

a) The Building Regulations are part of a statute; and
b) The Approved Document is not part of a statute;

then surely:

a) The Building Regulations are deliberately specific; and
b) The only way to ensure compliance (with the law) is to adhere to the provisions of those Regulations.

Isn't it :?:

the technical requirements (as opposed to the notification requirements) in part P are extremely short and vauge. If you say wired a house here to the NEC they'd have a hard time arguing that it didn't comply with the actual building regs.

but most tradesmen, customers and building control officers alike wan't a bit more hand holding so they can quickly design and agree on a bog standard installation and know it is of acceptable standard without working everything out from scratch. Thats where things like british standards and the approved documents come in.

Righty-oh. Upon reading said 'hand-holding' guidance (for the first time), I can see this important declaration:

Approved Documents are intended to provide
guidance for some of the more common
building situations. However, there may well be
alternative ways of achieving compliance with
the requirements. Thus there is no obligation
to adopt any particular solution contained in
an Approved Document if you prefer to meet
the relevant requirement in some other way.

Apologies for being too lazy to read this before.

Oh, come on, Softus!!

Get up to speed, man!

You must be the only person left on this site who does not fully understand the Approved Document P.

:LOL:

securespark said:
Oh, come on, Softus!!

Get up to speed, man!

You must be the only person left on this site who does not fully understand the Approved Document P.

:LOL:
Well, I had no cause to read it before - why would I?

If the f***ing search tool worked then I could read previous topics on the subject, but while it's sick perhaps you'd be kind enough could get me "up to speed"?

Doh.......... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Didn't even think to look there, buy the time I zoomed in to read the file, was already on first page....... :oops: :oops:

anyone read it yet?
Just going to start to read it now.
Like the man said "I might be gone some time"

Right Read it

I'll try and get my condensed guide updated soon...

FYI, given that what had previously been advice in an ODPM circular is now explicitly in the Approved Document, (1.26) I've emailed LABC Services and the District Surveyor's Association asking then when they plan to update the information on their websites that advises local authorities to ask DIYers etc to provide EICs from 3rd party electricians....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back