Part P and the Public

The buyer's solicitor will usually send the vendor a questionaire that is much more detailed than the PIQ, and usually does ask about notifiable electrical work. Certainly this was the case when we sold my mother's house in 2007.

The PIQ became a requirement to add to the Home Information Pack in April 2009, so it's not surprising it wasn't used in 2007.

I would not expect solicitors to add another similar questionaire to the PIQ. Even if they do, the purchaser's solicitors would advise the answer "Not known" in all cases where there may be some doubt. This is because a buyer could pull out because of a wrong answer and that could initiate a claim for aborted solicitors' costs.

Virtually no member of the public knows if the work they've had done is notifiable and since it's the electrician who notifies, they can't know. So even if the question's there it's not going to get an answer.

Sponsored Links
If the work is done and therefore notified by a registered electrician then they will have received a Building Regulations completion certificate, which should be a pretty good clue...

Hands up everyone who knows where their Buildings Completion Certificate is.

...Anyone?

:LOL:

locked in the fire safe along with the insurance documents, pasport, vehicle documents, birth certificate, deeds to the flat, last PIR report, plus the originals of several pictures that would be irreplacable if lost..

Sponsored Links
Do you really think Joe public knows when he requires a completion certificate?
My father through council grant had his central heating replaced. i.e. he is not client the council is even though it is his house.
The firm comes and has both Corgi and electrical registration on side of van. Yes I know it is Gas Safe.
The plumbers come and install everything. Once complete they say the Electrician will come on Monday this being Friday but until he comes they will just plug it in to give him heat and to commission boiler. They borrow a plug off him and fit it to cable run boiler and do all gas tests.

But reading Part P supply to any fixed equipment even if feed through plug needs Part P, and any alteration to central heating needs Part P and it was work in a Kitchen. Had the plug been fitted by manufacture then maybe they could have got away with it. But they did Part P work without issuing a completion certificate. The firm only issued a completion certificate for work done latter by the Electrician.

They clearly broke the Law.
1) Do we care?
2) How will they get caught?
3) If caught with electrician employed under Part P reg could any charges be made to stick?
4) If Electrician can't power up until Gas Safe is done and Gas Safe can't power up until electrics are done could it ever be done legal?
5) If Law is unworkable could it be used in court of Law or would it get thrown out in same way as famous peanut law?
6) If court throw it out would then case law nullify Part P?
7) Looking a 6 would any authority take that chance?

So Part P will continue to be broken and unless work is sub standard, or if there is a complaint about claiming to be registered when they are not, it is unlikely any case will be brought to court.
All Part P does is make prosecution easier for substandard work.

If anyone can show me a single case where Part P has been used to prosecute where neither substandard work or false advertising has been used as to membership I will be surprised and interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back