Part P.... (grrr)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I've just started having a conservatory built in my garden and I had planned to put in 3 double sockets (2 attached to the ring and one from a 13A FCU), 2 lights running from a 3A FCU, a 2 way switch to control a fountain pump and garden spotlights, and a 13A FCU running to the shed.

I had already wired up my shed, pump, and garden spotlights before the conservatory was built and before 1st Jan 2005.

From what I have read on here and some other sites, it appears this kind of work requires Part P testing as some of it extends into the garden.

I have 3 questions:

1) Can I perform all the work according to the regs (BS7671 etc) myself and get it tested after by a "Competent Person" to get the certificate?

2) Would I have to only get the NEW stuff that ONLY extends into the garden tested?

2) Do I have to inform the council?!

Cheers.
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Did'nt you need to get planning permission for the conservatory?? If so, chances are, they already know about it, and will be on to you!!!

1) Can I perform all the work according to the regs (BS7671 etc) myself and get it tested after by a "Competent Person" to get the certificate?

If you tell BC before you start the work they are legally obliged to test your work to BS7671. This is, however, a rare thing indeed.

2) Would I have to only get the NEW stuff that ONLY extends into the garden tested?

Possibly. It really depends on the rest of your existing install.

2) Do I have to inform the council?!

Yes. This would be notifiable work.

You could just not tell BC and get a PIR done after you have completed the work. Depends if BC already know about the conservatory.

Personally I'm all for a bit of DIY but with out a proper test and inspect you will never get work to comply with 7671 no matter how hard you try.

Sponsored Links
Hmm I was thinking you might all say that.

What about if I just do the internal conservatory bits which dont come under Part P and get an electrician to do all the outside work?

Would that be okay?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back