PART P - Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I understand that under PART P the kitchen is a special location. But do I need to notify the LABC if I want to replace the strip light with 2 banks of low voltage re-cessed spot lights?

Also I do I need to notify If I want to swap the existing white socket / FSU / light switch faceplates with chrome ones?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
What do you think, based on your reading of the law?

That's not meant to be sarky or anything - I just think that people should be encouraged to improve their own understanding, that's all.

So have a read, and see what you think are the answers....

Its one of the reasons I came on this site was to to ask about real-life situations and not to make an assumption on what I thought the law may be on their generic statments.

The OPDM website is good if you understand what exactly "word for word" what they are talking about.

Anyway I would assume that the socket replacement isn't, but the spotlights are... Your thoughts please???

Cheers

royster said:
Its one of the reasons I came on this site was to to ask about real-life situations and not to make an assumption on what I thought the law may be on their generic statments.
I wasn't asking you to make an assumption, I was asking you to read the law for yourself and see what you can learn from that.

The OPDM website is good if you understand what exactly "word for word" what they are talking about.
The ODPM does not have the law on it, and as for not understanding what it says, it's all very straightforward (if wrong in places).

Anyway I would assume that the socket replacement isn't, but the spotlights are... Your thoughts please???

SCHEDULE 2B
Regulation 12(5)

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;

(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

2. Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

(c) consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit;

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or

(iii) installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

Sponsored Links
This is why I asked the question, because what the law states can be interpreted a number of ways....

It says that I can replace any socket, yet further down it says but not in a kitchen. So its a contradiction in terms, to state the least.......

royster said:
So its a contradiction in terms, to state the least.......

Yup, its a contradiction alright, even places which you would trust to tell you the right things like the NICEIC (*snigger*) contradict the offical documents, the whole thng is a ****ing joke from the clown school that is the current government...

I'd personnally in your situation just ignore part p, but it'd be wrong of me to suggest that as a serious option to you... ;)

royster said:
This is why I asked the question, because what the law states can be interpreted a number of ways....
No - it is quite clear.

It says that I can replace any socket, yet further down it says but not in a kitchen.
No - it doesn't say that.

It says that replacing a socket or switch is not notifiable.

It says that adding a socket or switch is not notifiable if it's not in a kitchen.

So its a contradiction in terms, to state the least.......
No there is absolutely no contradiction in terms.

For anyone reading this thread. I've found a document from the IEE which gives a better understanding of what is notifyable or not.

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...notifications_to_building_control.pdf[/QUOTE]
I'm afraid that article is incorrect, but you are probably very safe if you want to use it as justification for not notifying something that the law says is notifiable.

My goodness, that Statutory Instrument is hard work!

But I understand, BAS, that you mean I should read it as if there was an "or" between sections 1 and 2 and 3 of Schedule 2B

(not an "and")

Have I got it?

That's right - in summary, the following work does not need to be notified:

The stuff in section 1

and the stuff in section 2

and the stuff in section 3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back