part p regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a self employed general builder. prior to the new regs i used to install showers extending ring mains, general electrics and outdoor lighting etc calling in a sparks for full rewiring , meters boards etc.........now i have to employ a sparks to do or check the work(assuming he /she is available)
As i don't have any formal qualifications in the subject is is possible to reach the part p standard....or do i have to tread the full qualification path?
I say that as some companies are offering courses leading to qualification in this are.......but im unsure of their quality.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I did a course called Part P Limited Scope, at Reactfast in Birmingham. Lot to learn in one week but means afterwards you can do most general tasks and are taught to do all the required tests. Main problem is that you then really need an expensive tester to do all the tests etc.

However I have had 2 electricians in recently and they didn't fill in any test paperwork (minor works forms). I asked if they did generally and they said rarely and only if householder asked.

I'm not sure if you understand what you need to be able to carry out electrical work in domestic dwellings legally in the England/Waled.
All electrical work in domestic dwellings must meet the criterion for P1 i.e. "P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."
Complying with BS7671 in most instances will ensure compliance with P1, if you are using BS7671 then you need to ensure the paperwork is completed. It should be noted that complying with BS7671 is not the only way to comply with P1 tho.
The 2nd part of the law looks at wether the work is going to be notifiable to the LABC or not. Even if the work is non-notifiable then you still need to comply with P1.
If the work is notifiable there are two options open to do the work - notify the LABC of each piece of work in advance, pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs - or become a member of a competent person scheme such as NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA, ECA, etc. Each one of the schemes have differing criterion for membership, if you want to go this route you'll have to see which one suits you best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back