Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know the answer to this one but....

I have bought a replacement Electric oven. Upon removing the old oven I have found that it was plugged into a normal socket (which is fed via a single radial circuit from the consumer unit via a switch above the worktop.

I was planning to remove the socket and hard wire it to a junction box behind the cupboard.

My question originally was going to be about how to wire it at the oven end It appears to be set up for spade crimp connections.

BUT

Looking on this site it looks like I shouldn't be touching this job with a barge pole as I would be breaking the law

Could someone advise me if this does fall under part P (I think it does as it\\\'s in the kitchen) would it fall under part P if I just plugged in the new oven (Although I don't want to do this as it's a double oven)

Hope someone can help

Joe

Sponsored Links
If the oven is below 3kw, then you can wire it to a plug and plug it in, thus advoising all the trouble that part P would bring if you were to hardwire it.

And if its over 3kw you will have to hardwire it in, but not through a junction box on the ring main, you would need a dedicated radial circuit for it

Thanks adam...

The max power is 6.1kW

Thankfully the socket is already in a dedicated radial, so I would be simply swapping the socket for a junction box to connect the cable from the switch to the oven flex....

The thing I realy wanted to know was if it was usual to use spade crimp connectors for 240v 30A. The ovens instructions also recomends 2.5mm core cabeling. I thourght I would need 4mm for 6kW+ ?

Is there any other option to getting an electrician to fit this?

cheers

Joe[/list]

joe_mc_h said:
Thankfully the socket is already in a dedicated radial, so I would be simply swapping the socket for a junction box to connect the cable from the switch to the oven flex....
So strictly speaking a notifiable job...

The thing I realy wanted to know was if it was usual to use spade crimp connectors for 240v 30A. The ovens instructions also recomends 2.5mm core cabeling. I thourght I would need 4mm for 6kW+ ?
The diversity rules for a 6.1kW cooking appliance produce a load of 15A, so a 16A (or 20A, depending on length and how it's installed) on 2.5mm² cable would be OK.

Is there any other option to getting an electrician to fit this?
There are two options:

1) DIY and keep quiet

2) DIY and notify Building Control

Sponsored Links
you are allowed to connect a cooker to a cooker point, aslong as the cooker point is already there

You are allowed to connect a free-standing cooker, not a built-in one.

And in this case the cooker point is not already there.

Isn't our Government wonderful?

Have you had experiance of notifying building control??

I'm quite tempted with the DIY and keep it quiet idea, and can't really see any concequences?????

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Joe

joe_mc_h said:

I'm quite tempted with the DIY and keep it quiet idea, and can't really see any concequences?????

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Joe

providing it was started last year then your currently exempt.

im sure you started this last year, didnt you

Frankly, even if you did it next year, no I can't see any consequences.

joe_mc_h said:
Strangely enough, no...

Any decision that you make on complying, or not, with the law should be wholly yours, based on your assessment of the consequences.

Just remember that when a politician says that the law is the law and must always be obeyed because it is the law, he knows that the only reason he is allowed to make laws is because everyone lets him get away with it.

Now a good politician would never break the law. would never, for example, invade a foreign country on specious trumped up evidence which anyway did not justify the act, nor lock people up for life with absolutely no evidence which would stand up in court. Now would he? Naver mind break the building regulations!

One can argue that it is every citizen's right, even duty sometimes, to refuse to obey a law which is "wrong".

I guess the most extreme example of this that people can relate to would be the Nazis. Was it wrong for people to refuse to give up Jews, communists, gypsies, homosexuals, the disabled etc to the state for their murder?

Part P is not really in the same league, but once you stop arguing about the principle of whether a line can be drawn, all that's left is to argue about where you draw it.

Will it be wrong to refuse to cooperate with ID cards?

Will it be wrong to engage in direct action in support of a neighbour who's been banged up without a trial on the say-so of a fascist Home Secretary?

Were Clive Ponting, Cathy Massiter and Sarah Tisdall wrong to break the Official Secrets Act?

And if you answer "No" to any of those, what about the questions "Would it be wrong not to refuse to cooperate with ID cards?" etc...

As I said - Part P isn't at those levels of importance, but we would all do well to think not only about when it is right to break the law, but when it is wrong to not break it.

There is always a temptation for politicians that they must be seen to be doing good. So they bring in part P, because obviously not being burnt alive is a good thing. They bring in laws to lock people up without trial, because obviously not being blown up is a good thing.

Except that in both cases they gloss over the negative sides of these laws. Just exactly how many people could be saved on realistic expectations? Will these laws actually work? And especially they deny the bad consequences which could be forseen and will happen.

Any decision that you make on complying, or not, with the law should be wholly yours, based on your assessment of the consequences.

My lawyer has already been informed of your advice ;)

providing it was started last year then your currently exempt.

I Think you would be surprised how many jobs I have unfinished from last year.

Who would have thourght fitting an oven would stimulate such a political disscussion. I will try and put a post from prison if the electricity police raid me half way through the job :D

Thanks everyone

Joe

You should be ok for the moment, the electricity police have all been drafted to help wire up cages for terrorist suspects.

I would say just about every house in the country has some unfinished wiring job left over from the last century.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back